I have to admit: I never thought my new study would come together as quickly or as nicely as it has. When I glimpsed the space when we first toured the house, I was immediately taken with it, but I came to worry about both its size and how bright it is. Would it be too small, too cramped a space for thinking and writing? Would it be too bright to see a computer screen? Would all that sunlight make it too warm? How could I ever make the space feel like my own?
The images in the Flickr set reveal, I think, that my concerns have largely been allayed.
A quick glance at the image above as well as the images in the set reveal that the space is indeed small: approximately eight feet wide by eight feet deep. The potential crampedness is offset by the vaulted ceiling which culminates in a four foot square skylight and by the six foot square sliding glass door that, thanks to the faked mullions, reads more like a window.
If those two windows weren’t enough, there is also a three foot square window over a room air conditioning unit that I hope not to use, both because it would blow right on me and because those things consume electricity like beasts. It will be interesting to see if I can pull that off because with so much sunlight coming in, the room does warm up considerably, and, because the room was an addition to the house, there is no direct connection to the house’s central air conditioning. Instead, I have both the dining room windows, that once opened to the outside, opened with a fan blowing cool air into the space. I have also discovered the pleasure, just this afternoon, of lying with my back on the cool marble tiled floor with my head propped up on a few pillows. I did so while reading Ruskin’s “The Two Paths.” It seemed fitting.
The bench on the righthand side of the room as you enter was made by my father while he was in college and is a version of an Eames piece, which, I think, was itself inspired by one designed by George Nelson in 1946. (Anyone who knows furniture history please feel free to correct me.) I’ve covered it with a Tibetan rug which was a present from my mother and which makes it work perfectly well as a divan.
The book case on the lefthand side of the room was built over the course of last week. It is all that remains of my attempt to build a wall of book cases for our new living room. In the end, a lack of decent tools and the incredible head and humidity that has descended upon Louisiana so early this summer defeated me. We have purchased a basic set of cases from a local unfinished furniture store and I bolted together these two pieces which were to be the “towers” that flanked the original design. (See the scan of the original drawing.) The case is overbuilt, but it was the best I could do in order to achieve the functionality I wanted, given my state of mind. The vertical edges will shortly be covered by a decorative strip and the top will receive a pit of crown molding and a bit of other frippery. The bottom will get a heavier piece of millwork that I found in the new garage and is just enough to supply my needs.