1 x Standard stereo Y cable with a standard mini plug attached.
1 x Pair of wirecutters/strippers
1 x Roll of electrical tape
- Using the wirecutters, remove the Apple junction and all cabling behind it, including the Apple mini-plug. Please don’t worry, this is safe.
- Strip about 1 inch of insulation from each cable that remains attached to the Apple Pro Speakers. Do the same to the stereo Y cable we purchased.
- Inside each cable, one will notice a pair of wires. Strip about 1/2 inch of insulation from each wire. Do the same to the stereo Y cable.
- Join each wire from the Apple Pro Speaker stereo pair to it’s compliment on the stereo Y cable. Anyone thathas done wiring of a home stereo system will have no problem recognizing what to do from here on out.
- Tape of each join securly, or solder if one likes and then tape up each joint. Also, heat sealing joiners can be used as well. I used electrical tape myself, but I may go back and get heat seals as they look nicer.
- Insert stereo mini plug into the audio output of choice an enjoy!
The right speaker has: shielding on the outside, a layer of foil, a brown wire, a yellow wire.
The left speaker has: shielding on the outside, a layer of foil, a blue wire, a white wire.
- Pull the foil away and when connecting these wires MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TOUCH WIRES THAT THEY ARE NOT PURPOSELY ATTACHED TO.
- Get a mini or headphones connector where the left and right wires are easily stripped and separated. I used one where the right wire is clearly red and the left is clearly white and both wires have shielding.
- Make sure the stripped wires are stripped at least an inch above the shielding so there is less opportunity to touch.
- Twist the shielding of all wires together and cover with electrical tape.
- Twist the Brown and the Blue wires from the two speakers together and cover with electrical tape
- Twist the white wire from the Apple Pro speaker together with the left (in my case white) wire connected to the mini connector, cover with electrical tape.
- Twist the Yellow wire from the Apple Pro speaker together with the right (in my case red) wire connected to the mini connector, cover with electrical tape.
- The blue and brown wires, now connected, need to be connected to the shielding wire.