I am three days behind the schedule I set out for myself on Monday of last week, but the revision of the essay for the _Journal of American Folklore_ is done, with one exception that I will discuss in a moment. The prose revisions were difficult primarily because I have not had my head in that essay for so long. The materials are interesting, however, and I find myself really drawn to linguistic work. There is simply so much one can do with it.
After the prose, it was time to turn my attention to the two illustrations that accompany the essay. The first figure is a map:
Like its companion, the map was a little, *hmmm*, sophomoric in appearance. It worked, but it was neither professional looking, to my mind, nor compelling. The same could be said for the diagram:
It took me an hour or more to decide not to try some sort of multi-dimensional version of this figure. In the end I decided to keep it two-dimensional because I had neither the data to explore more dimensions — pwned as I am by one Tim Tangherlini — nor did I have room in the essay to explore yet more analysis of the limited data I had. Even so, the line I drew to foreground the shifts in discourse genres needs explaining and it raises some important possibilities for analysis within the overall study.